Dec 15, 2010

Tonight I will share, without going into detail, that I've arrived at a place...and looking back at not only the last 12 weeks but also the last few years, this place would have all the appearance of being the end of a journey. Yet I know, in reality, I have only begun this journey.

I have focused so much of my attention...in this little life of mine...to controlling as much of it as possible. And as much as I believed I could have that control, I never did. I believed I controlled my relationships, though in a way that rarely (if ever) appeared aggressive...merely that I always held people a safe distance from me, giving them some hope of vulnerability and dependence, but never delivering. I believed I controlled my finances...but it has proved time and time again that really I've given my finances control over me. I believed I controlled my destiny...mostly in seemingly subtle ways; ways that probably most everyone thinks they OUGHT to control it. I even believed that perhaps I could control my emotions, which never worked well because instead of stewarding them, I simply pushed them into some deep cavern that, when overfull, only forced my emotions out in selfish ways. I was never in control. And I never will be.

There was a time when this troubled me. Now it overjoys me. I have peace because not only do I believe God is control, but (and this is key) I believe God is GOOD. And GENEROUS. And FAITHFUL. And FORGIVING. And....I believe, truly...that He does love me. And He loves well. All this time, by my actions, I was telling God that I knew better than He what is best for me...and time and time again I proved such a statement to be a lie.

Now, Lord, can I simply rejoice that YOU ARE AWESOME!? And who cares if things don't turn out the way I expect them to!? That's not the point! It's not all about ME!!! I'm NOT God! I complain because I'm selfish instead of joyfully trusting You, believing You are good, and serving because YOU SERVED US! Only when I seek Your presence and make it my treasure am I able to love others without seeking selfish gain. And that is what we do, isn't it? When we are honest with ourselves, we see how that is what we do. That is what I do, anyway, and I have a suspicion that I am far from being being alone in it.

So praise, God, all you saints! Praise Him! For He is good and His works are AWESOME!

No comments: