Aug 2, 2008

Politics and C.S. Lewis among other things.

I've been thinking about politics lately. I don't like politics much. I'm beginning to realise this as of late, what with the presidential elections sitting on our laps and all. I doubt many people will appreciate that I don't like politics - or that I have little faith in human governing. It's flawed of course since we are flawed. I'm not an anarchist by any means. I have less interest in that than I do American politics.

Mostly, I prefer not to think about politics if I can help it and just focus on Jesus things - like relationship and the church. We have no control over the future, though we may think we do by pushing our political causes (or candidates) til it is no longer about what the cause will help and instead about being right. I have also observed that very political Christians spend more time arguing about issues with each other than they do praying together about them (or praying for one another). My thoughts? It is only God who knows what must be done about anything. We bicker and argue and fight to keep our prides; in the process damaging or hindering relationships and missing the bigger picture of God (2 Timothy 2:22-24).

I don't know the answer for how a kingdom child must go about politics. What we consider many of the purposes of Christ might fit perfectly well into political causes and stances. I have no opinion there (or a developed one at least). Other than such an observation, unfortunately, politics is an important part of our world. Whether it is a necessary one is another matter. With that in mind, I am not excempt from having political views, which may sound very hypocritical of me. I don't really care. I am being honest and admittedly processing through things. Now these thoughts come spewing out into one terrible and incomplete mess. It is likely that a year from now I will be just as uncertain.

Seperately, I'm reading more. The past few weeks I've managed to get a few good books in. I like this. I've been making time in the evenings and some mornings to read Christian fiction. I just finished The Great Divorce by our beloved Clive Staples Lewis - what a name - and I do recommend this reading. It offers an interesting and challanging view of Heaven and Hell through a dream. Now I have just begun yet another C.S. Lewis read: That Hideous Strength. It's of a trilogy and so far I am finding it quite difficult. Lewis writes this in a way I'm not accustomed to, not to mention it is not a simple work to follow. But I'm enjoying the challenge.

It seems I am going in waves of being disciplined about one thing and not another. And so it is with reading - disciplined about reading, but not about other things. Deary me. This is hard, but I'm not worried about it. It's all about God anyway. And He can take care perfectly well. ;)

No comments: